When it comes to cruising, the world really is your oyster. Water makes up more than 70% of the Earth’s surface, so travelling by boat makes sense, as you can experience many ports of call in comfort without the hassle of lengthy overland transfers or flights. World cruises can take you from the intrigue of the Far East to the glamorous, sun-soaked cities of Europe. They can take you to every corner of the globe, whether you’re starting with a blank canvas or have an idea of where you’d like to go.
Travelling by ship allows you to reach some of the world’s most enticing destinations in comfort,
visiting otherwise inaccessible places away from the tourist trail. Imagine waking up face to face with a glacier shimmering in the morning sun, to a tropical beach with waves lapping invitingly on the shore, or simply in a new destination each day.
Sailing from Cape Town affords the chance to visit many fabulous destinations on a world cruise. Embark your luxurious cruise ship and you could sail north via the west coast of Africa to London, where you can explore its iconic sights before crossing the Atlantic Ocean to New York – one of the world’s most iconic cruise crossings. With the Big Apple at your feet and the whole of the Unites States of America to explore, your journey could continue north to New England and Greenland and the frosty wastes of snow and Arctic wildlife, or south to the warm waters of the Caribbean and through the iconic Panama Canal to Mexico and the west coast of the USA.
Alternatively, world cruises can sail up the east coast of Africa and explore the Indian Ocean before touring the Middle East and cutting through the Suez Canal to the warm waters of the Mediterranean. Here a range of beautiful ports await; from the romantic elegance of Italy; the sun-beaten, whitewashed glamour of Greece; the rustic charm of Croatia and the sultry, historic sights of Turkey. In Spain you can stroll among peaceful alleys and look up at Gaudi’s architecture, while on the French coast sip deliciously chilled wines overlooking the bobbing superyachts of the Riviera.
There are even chance to head further afield, with some of the most popular world cruise sectors sailing across the Indian Ocean via Mauritius to the cosmopolitan ports of Australia and New Zealand. Explore a whole new world ‘down under’ before embarking on a discovery tour of the Far East. Many cruises stop in glittering Shanghai, futuristic Singapore, neon-lit South Korea, foodie favourite Hong Kong and Laem Chabang, offering access to Bangkok. Allow your taste buds to be tantalised by all of the deliciously fragrant cuisine and make sure you take plenty of photographs – this part of the world is packed with natural and man-made beauty.
Take a transatlantic voyage to meet the Statue of Liberty at sunrise or glide around the Arabian Gulf on a local cruise that takes in familiar sights from a new perspective. Wherever you want to go, the world is waiting.
Best time to travel
The world is your oyster!
On a world cruise you’ll travel around several continents, from north to south or east to west. Make sure you pack plenty of layers and clothes for all eventualities!
Pizza in Italy, curry in India, noodles in China. You’ll find all the most predictable dishes to enjoy,
but did you know there’s a fantastic Little India in Singapore, traditional English afternoon tea in Hong Kong and amazing French food in the Caribbean? Take your taste buds on an adventure!
Most maps don’t show the planet as it actually appears – Africa and South America are actually much larger. For a more accurate representation take a look at the Gall-Peters Projection Map.
The largest ocean in the world is the Pacific Ocean, which covers around 30% of the Earth’s surface. The original meaning of Pacific is ‘peaceful sea’.
Things to do
- Stroll along the Bund, Shanghai’s atmospheric waterfront backed by glittering skyscrapers
- Relax on the beaches of the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean
- Soak up the sun and stunning views as you cruise around Bay of Islands
- Book yourself a range of pampering treatments in the spa
- Wave to the Statue of Liberty as you pull into port in New York City
- Try tacos and tequila as you explore the Mayan ruins of Mexico
- Snap some photographs of the Amalia Glacier as you cruise around South America
- Take the cable car to the top of Mount Sugarloaf for amazing views of Rio de Janeiro
- Get in-depth insight into the destinations you visit with immersive shore excursions
- Head to Singapore’s most famous bar at the Raffles Hotel and order a Singapore Sling
- Shop for designer labels and delicious healthy snacks on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills
- Explore Bangkok via its network of canals, called klongs
- Enjoy the views of Sydney’s magnificent icons as you dock in the heart of its harbour
- Discover the fascinating Maori history of New Zealand in the capital, Wellington
- Take an iconic cable car around the city of San Francisco
- Glide through the Panama Canal and learn about the modern marvel of engineering
- Make the most of the ship’s fantastic leisure and entertainment facilities